Frequently Asked Questions.Board FAQ
Rules & DisclaimerRules&Disclaimer
Members of our staffStaff
Contact information for Al BrooksContact Us

Manage your own cookiesMy Cookies
Tell your friends about this great site.Tell A Friend
Articles
Today's Post-Trading Talk : Simply Awesome

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Fire-Star
2790 Points

USA US Nevada
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed May 25, 2011 1:58 pm   Post subject:  Today's Post-Trading Talk : Simply Awesome Back to top 

I am typing this as Al is still speaking, .....I don't think I have ever heard anything as powerful, coming from a real trader. Thank you Al, I'm not sure how we got this lucky in finding a mentor like you, but in the spirit of your 'Move To The Market's Music' talk, I am not questioning it ....lol....just grateful for your dedication and generosity of your time and knowledge, and going with this wave to learn all I can.

Btw, your apologies for 'going on' is about as funny as a fountain apologizing for quenching the thirst of people in a drought stricken land.

Ashwin

Download Post   
bend
30068 Points

United Kingdom
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu May 26, 2011 6:25 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks for flagging this up. Since I am in the UK I have to knock off the trading room early and don't always have time to review the whole recording.
I'll definitely catch up with this though

Download Post   
packoz
979 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat May 28, 2011 7:13 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I also appreciate your noticing this. I listened to it an found it very helpful. I try to listen to as much as possible, but in light of other responsibilities sometimes I miss things. It is nice when someone points out something that was particularly helpful to them when Al goes off on an insightful riff. We all are just trying to help spot those little bags of money, after all.

Download Post   
Fire-Star
2790 Points

USA US Nevada
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat May 28, 2011 11:58 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

@Bend, Packoz

You are very welcome. You constantly hear that trading is 80% psychology and 20% technicals, however even 2 people with the very same training can look at the same chart and interpret it differently based on their biases (psychology again) so perhaps 100% of trading is psychology. I have studied various disciplines and always attempted to get to the very best in those fields to learn from,....you know the 'if you're going to fly...learn from an eagle' approach. What I've learned about Al is that his technicals are rock solid, math-based and statistically contextualized. His psychology is unwavering, and yeah probably responsible for 80-90% of his success, yet he apologized for spending time on it??? I have never heard him apologize for drilling technical discipline, why is that? Perhaps because he thought those listening to him would not find it valuable? I am going to ask him to do more on the emotional discipline side.

Ashwin

Download Post   
hvalley
1599 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun May 29, 2011 12:29 am   Post subject:  Re: Today's Post-Trading Talk : Simply Awesome Back to top 

I also noticed Al's emotional discipline tangent live on his webinar and thought that it was insightful. I posted a question about it on that days' webinar page about it. It helped answer a question I've heard about day traders who burn out while others like Al can keep doing it daily for years. What I got from his answer is that he enjoys day trading his method immensely and for him it's like walking through a relaxing and beautiful nature preserve finding bits of treasure here and there. He's mentioned something like this before. Another analogy could be river and rapids rafting and enjoying the thrill and sometimes serene moments of navigating correctly and safely. Of course, one probably has to be good and experienced enough with PA to get to that relaxed emotionally point in trading.

As for his apologizing. Al 's webinars are reserved, all business, and sticks to the facts and discipline of PA. I've been on other webinars where the host wants attention or wants people to acknowledge him and still listen to jokes and wisecracks whether good or awful, haha. Although Al may wish to be recognized for his gargantuan trading research as a researcher and trader just as he's been recognized for his past medical research. And I'm sure once his new books come out he will be, and those books will be a top classic in trading literature, as if the original book isn't already recognized underground and whispered about already! Or Al could be just sticking to his professional plan and making sure to stay away from talking like a CTA as he's emphasized he's not. Just my 2c theories.

Download Post   
RichardHK
14218 Points

Hong Kong
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun May 17, 2015 10:56 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

If there is anybody still here from 2011 the audio and transcript for Al's end of webinar talk is up on his Brooks Trading Course site here:

https://brookstradingcourse.com/ask-al/fundamentals-mathematics-computers-and-my-job-as-trader/

There is another good clip just before this one about choosing 1 or 2 points for a scalp. Will be put up on BTC later.

Download Post   

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic